Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Back to School: Fall 2011

Yesterday I got into a Twitter conversation with Birdhouse Books (check out her shop!) about back to school stuff. We were talking about the stuff that we love about back to school shopping: the smell of a new rubber eraser, the excitement of a blank, clean notebook, the fun of opening a pencil box. Clothes shopping for school was never really something I did as a kid (my mom just got us clothes when we needed them, not at a particular time of year), but I did start doing it once I got into college. And now that I work on a college campus, I get a kick each year of seeing the way that students put together their own styles.

One trend that seems to be growing is very high heels. Given how much walking students have to do, I’m surprised to see this as often as I do. Platforms are also appearing more frequently. These great platforms from Retrotrend would not be out of place here.


Caramel Platform Slingbacks Size 8

Bold prints and flowing dresses are wonderful to see across campus. I can see this one from JoJosRetroandVintage on a stylish student:



This lightweight Boy Scouts jacket from my own shop is a great way to transition into the cooler fall weather:


Vintage Boy Scouts Jacket with Patches


Ways to store and carry things are always needed as students move back into their dorms and apartments. Shopping vintage for these items is a great way to save money and add flair to one's style. I can see students (or faculty!) falling for this great bag from LoverlyVintage:


Vintage Totebag

We have a rather large art department on our campus, and something like this would be perfect for an art student who needs a stylish way to carry supplies.

Interested in more back to school ideas? Check out what the Etsy Vintage Market Team has to offer. Just search tag vmteam. Your student (or you) will be stand out from the crowd.

2 comments: